Memorial Service at the Yum! Center
On Friday, June 10th, Yum! Center doors will open at 11:30 a.m.
Traffic: The city is offering ticket-holders with free parking and shuttle service from the Kentucky Expo Center to the Yum! Center starting at 8:30 a.m. Friday.
TARC buses will provide free rides on all routes for passengers with tickets.
Friday’s 9:00 a.m. funeral motorcade of roughly 17 cars, including a hearse carrying Ali’s body, will pass through significant areas to Ali including his boyhood home, the Ali Center, and the Kentucky Center for African American Heritage.
Estimated to take more than 90 minutes, the procession will include rolling street closures by police as it passes by. The procession will end at Cave Hill cemetery, which will be closed to the public.
Police provided this route for the procession:
- Bardstown Road North from 4501 to the Watterson Expressway Westbound
- Watterson Expressway Westbound to I-65 Northbound
- I-65 Northbound to I-64 Westbound
- 9th Street – From I-64 to Muhammad Ali Boulevard
- Muhammad Ali Boulevard from Ninth Street to 34th Street
- 34th Street from Muhammad Ali Boulevard to Grand Avenue
- Grand Avenue from 34th to 32nd
- 32nd Street from Grand Avenue to Broadway
- Broadway from 32nd to Cave Hill Cemetery entrance
Street closures on Friday:
- Second Street will be closed between River and Main at 10 a.m. and remain closed until approximately 6 p.m.
- Third Street will be closed between River and Main at 10 a.m. and remain closed until approximately 6 p.m.
- Main Street will be closed after the public event, at approximately 4 p.m., to facilitate the traffic and pedestrian flow.
- Sixth Street will be closed between River and Main at approximately 3 p.m. and will remain closed until mid-evening.
- Washington Street will be closed between Sixth and Seventh at approximately 3 p.m. and will remain closed until mid-evening. Meters will be bagged as well on Washington Street according to above schedule but traffic will be allowed to flow until 3 p.m. on Washington Street.
There will be no passenger pickup allowed in these areas after the event.
No parking will be allowed on these streets:
- Main Street – First to Fourth
- Third Street – River to Market
- First Street – Witherspoon to Main
- 3200 – 3300 Block of Grand Avenue
- Washington Street from Sixth to Seventh
Taxi cabs will be accessible on Market Street between Second and Third Streets.
Burial: Cave Hill Cemetery will be closed to the public by the police.
ABOUT THE MUHAMMAD ALI CENTER
The Muhammad Ali Center, a 501(c)3 corporation, was co-founded by Muhammad Ali and his wife Lonnie in their hometown of Louisville, Kentucky. The international cultural center promotes the six core principles of Muhammad Ali (Confidence, Conviction, Dedication, Giving, Respect, and Spirituality) in ways that inspire personal and global greatness and provides programming and events around the focus areas of education, gender equity, and global citizenship. Its newest initiative, Generation Ali, fosters a new generation of leaders to contribute positively to their communities and to change the world for the better. The Center’s headquarters also contains an award-winning museum experience. For more information, please visit www.alicenter.org