May 25 - December 30, 2018
Ina B. Bond Gallery on the 4th Floor
America to Zanzibar is an immersive, interactive exhibit about the diversity of Muslim cultures in our community, our country, and the world. It offers children and families exciting hands-on experiences to explore in the areas of art, architecture, music, design, travel, trade and more!
- Experience world cultures through design, music, and objects
- Explore the meaning of home through unique objects, clothing, art and books.
- Exchange ideas and goods through travel and trade
- Barter and trade in a global marketplace
- Uncover the majesty and variety of Muslim architecture
- Reflect on the meaning of home while looking at treasured personal belongings
- Enjoy dance, theater and music performances, art and cooking demonstrations and lots of hands-on activities
Upcoming America to Zanzibar Events at the Ali Center
Sponsored Field Trips
Give local students the gift of education! Contact 502.992.5338 to find out how you can sponsor local classrooms!
America to Zanzibar: Muslim Cultures Near and Far was developed by the Children's Museum of Manhattan.
The Ali Center invites all Educators to come to a FREE Teacher Preview Day on Monday, August 6 from 3:00PM to 6:30PM.
More information here.
In conjunction with our new temporary exhibit, America to Zanzibar: Muslim Cultures Near and Far, the Muhammad Ali Center will host teacher professional development sessions. Contact 502.992.5312 for details.
- Monday, August 27th from 4:30 - 6:30 p.m.
JCPS Credit Offered
Curriculum-Based Field Trips
90-minute theme-based tours that include a hands-on workshop for groups ranging from Pre-K through High School.
To book your field trip, contact 502.992.5340 or email@example.com
- Pre-K-K -- You, Me, We: Discover the building blocks of what makes a community as you travel the world.
- 1st-3rd -- Amazing Mathematics: Explore the relationship between culture and design through mathematical principles.
- 3rd-5th -- A is for Architecture: Discover the mathematics behind the unique design elements in Muslim architecture.
- 6th-8th -- Air, Land and Sea: Explore the relationship between trade and the sharing of culture and art
- HS -- World Religions: Discover the diverse cultural groups & religions throughout the world, and the challenges that unite and divide them.
Field Trip Partnership with KMAC
We're partnering with the KMAC Museum for a special field trip. These curriculum-based field trips will include art-making components. Contact 502.992.5340 to book.
Colorful Rugs: Fabric collage
Sculpting in Symbols: Ceramic plates
Dazzling Vessels: Metal embossing