Citywide Festival celebrates Muhammad Ali’s legacy
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (March 29, 2018) — The citywide “I Am Ali” festival returns for a second year this June 1-10, 2018 to celebrate the life and legacy of Louisville’s native son and global humanitarian, Muhammad Ali. The 2018 festival will mark the second anniversary of Muhammad’s passing, and it will include local arts and cultural groups, performances and events, films, entertainment, and other activities throughout the city that connect with and reinforce Muhammad Ali’s great legacy as a global citizen, athlete and humanitarian. The festival is supported, in part by, the Louisville Convention & Visitors Bureau.
The festival will, once again, kick off with Muhammad Ali Appreciation Night at Slugger Field with the Louisville Bats on Friday, June 1, 2018.
Last years “I Am Ali” festival highlighted Ali’s Six Core Principles over six weeks of community events and programming. Over 40 local organizations participated in over 70 different events during the six weeks, including “The Greatest Lunch” at the Brown Hotel, Courtyard Movie night at Copper & Kings Distillery and “A Battle of Wits: Ali and Shakespeare” with Kentucky Shakespeare.
“It is Louisville, Kentucky where Muhammad Ali’s character was shaped and his athleticism was put into practice,” said Donald Lassere, President and CEO of the Muhammad Ali Center. “Throughout his iconic life, it was Muhammad’s hometown that celebrated his successes from afar, welcomed him home with outstretched arms when he passed, and continues to support The Greatest’s legacy in the greatest of ways. The Ali Center is proud to lead a citywide 10-day celebration to keep Muhammad’s legacy alive and to once again, shine the spotlight on Louisville.”
Local attractions, restaurants and other organizations will offer exciting activities, discounts, and special Ali-related events during the 10-day festival, focusing on Ali’s love for Louisville, and the many facets of his character that made him “The Greatest of All Time,” especially to the community where he was raised and always called “home.” Every participating organization’s event or deal for the festival is curated at www.alicenter.org/alifestival,
A sampling of the 2018 “I Am Ali” festival participants and their events:
- Ah, Whatta ‘Bout Mimi: Butterfly and Bee balloon photo frame for selfies (all 10 days)
- Bristol Bar & Grille – Downtown: 10% off bill with Ali Festival mention (all 10 days)
- Fourth Street Live!: A Kid, A Cop and A Cause (June 10, 2018)
- Evan Williams Bourbon Experience: $3 off Louisville Waterfront History Tour (all 10 days)
- Le Moo: Celebrity Host fundraising night to support the Ali Center (June 3, 2018)
- Louisville Bats: Muhammad Ali Appreciation Night (June 1, 2018)
- The Louisville Quest: “I Am Ali” Festival Quest (June 2, 2018)
- Muhammad Ali Center: Stories of Ali: Ali’s West End (June 2, 2018)
- Muhammad Ali Center: Closing Celebration at the Center (June 10, 2018)
- National Parkinson’s Foundation: Moving Day Louisville (June 9, 2018)
- Soul Cleanse Yoga: “6 Core Principle Flow” yoga class (June 6, 2018)
- Stoneware & Co: Hand-made boxing glove salt & pepper shakers for sale (all 10 days)
- Village Anchor: Host fundraising night to support the Ali Center (June 4, 2018)
If interested in participating in the 2018 “I Am Ali”, please contact Becky Morris at email@example.com or 502.992.5334.