Muhammad Ali Center Field Trips
CURRICULUM-BASED GUIDED TOURS
These interactive field trip experiences are aligned with Kentucky and Indiana Core Content Standards and are developed for specific grade levels. During a visit, groups will receive 45 to 60 minutes of classroom instruction and 60 minutes of activities and exploration of the Muhammad Ali Center’s exhibits. In addition, we offer pre- and post-visit lessons and teacher resources.
Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 9:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. (Please note that school trips must be scheduled at least three weeks in advance.)
Champions Aren’t Made In Gyms: Tour Program for Sports Teams & Athletes
What makes a champion? Are champions defined by success on the field, court, or ring? Or are champions distinguished by something much greater?
During this experience, sports teams will take a motivational journey through the life and legacy of the Greatest of All Time, Muhammad Ali. Student athletes will leave inspired to strive for personal greatness both on the field and as leaders in their communities.
For more information, click HERE
Our self-guided visits include a structured 15-minute introduction by our professional educators that includes storytelling, important information about Muhammad Ali and his legacy, and guidelines for a successful visit. Following the introduction, your group will have the opportunity to explore the Muhammad Ali Center’s exhibitions and gift shop at their leisure.
- Self-Guided Experience: $8.00/Student
- Guided Tour & Curriculum Experience: $10.00/Student
- College or University: $10.00/Student
“City of Ali” Field Trip and Film Screening-$10/Student
On June 10, 2016, the day of Muhammad Ali’s funeral procession, more than 100,000 people lined the streets of Louisville to celebrate his life and over one billion people worldwide tuned in to Ali’s memorial service. Stories of the Louisville Lip’s wit, generosity, swagger, and commitment to justice were retold by President Bill Clinton, Billy Crystal, Mrs. Lonnie Ali, and many others. During this field trip experience, your students will receive in an informative Guided Tour of our 2 ½ levels of award-winning exhibitions by our professional educators, a Private Screening of “Round 1” of the City of Ali Film, and will complete Lesson 1 from “Honoring the Greatest through City of Ali,” a curriculum developed by JCPS teachers. Driving questions for this core-content focused program include:
- How does a person’s surroundings influence who they become?
- How can a person influence their surroundings?
- How can we honor someone’s legacy through service and action?
*Curriculum created by Aven Cook & Rachel Klein, Anti-Racists Specialists, Jefferson County Public Schools, Louisville, KY
Discounted rates are available to Title 1 Schools. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR TEACHERS AND CHAPERONES
- Tours must be scheduled at least three weeks in advance of your reservation.
- We suggest that you allow approximately two hours for your visit.
- Please download and print the document Field Trip Policies and Procedures for Teachers and Chaperones and distribute prior to your visit. Helping chaperones know what to expect prior to the visit is essential for the overall experience of the children.
- The Muhammad Ali Center welcomes home school groups.
- We require a 10:1 student/chaperone ratio for all school groups. Adult chaperones will be admitted free at a six to one ratio. Additional chaperones are welcome at the $10.00 per person group rate.
- Hours: Tuesday through Sunday, 9:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. *Due to the Coronavirus crisis, the Ali Center’s hours of operation of subject to change. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
The Jefferson County Public Schools has instituted the Backpack of Success Skills initiative where students will show how they have become effective communicators, emerging innovators, prepared and resilient learners, globally and culturally competent citizens and productive collaborators.
Comments from Teachers
“Our Trip was a success!! Our students truly enjoyed the Ali Center! I can speak for them it will change how they look at Life. They are inspired to use his six core principles next year in our Student Council Goals to make a change in our community! We will be back next year 🙂 We Thank you so much! Awesome set up...Educational to the Max! Muhammad Ali is truly a good role model turning disappointed in to a winning experience in Life! For us to love all people and meet them were they are at in Life!!!”
“I have brought my World Religions classes to the Center for about 5 years. It is a great experience for these students to learn about Islam while discovering the value of empathy.”
To schedule a school tour or for more information, please contact our Tours Department:
Each school group is required to fill out the Youth Group Interest Form prior to visiting.
A 20% deposit is required for all weekend and after-hours tours.