America to Zanzibar: Muslim Cultures Near and Far
America to Zanzibar is an immersive, interactive exhibit about the diversity of Muslim cultures in our community, our country, and the world. It offers children and families exciting hands-on experiences to explore in the areas of art, architecture, music, design, travel, trade and more!
- Experience world cultures through design, music, and objects
- Explore the meaning of home through unique objects, clothing, art and books.
- Exchange ideas and goods through travel and trade
- Barter and trade in a global marketplace
- Uncover the majesty and variety of Muslim architecture
- Reflect on the meaning of home while looking at treasured personal belongings
- Enjoy dance, theater and music performances, art and cooking demonstrations and lots of hands-on activities
America to Zanzibar: Muslim Cultures Near and Far was developed by the Children's Museum of Manhattan.
America to Zanzibar Exhibit Field Trips
Curriculum-Based Field Trips
90-minute theme-based tours that include a hands-on workshop for groups ranging from Pre-K through High School.
To book your field trip, contact 502.992.5340 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pre-K-K -- You, Me, We: Discover the building blocks of what makes a community as you travel the world.
- 1st-3rd -- Amazing Mathematics: Explore the relationship between culture and design through mathematical principles.
- 3rd-5th -- A is for Architecture: Discover the mathematics behind the unique design elements in Muslim architecture.
- 6th-8th -- Air, Land and Sea: Explore the relationship between trade and the sharing of culture and art
- HS -- World Religions: Discover the diverse cultural groups & religions throughout the world, and the challenges that unite and divide them.
Field Trip Partnership with KMAC
We're partnering with the KMAC Museum for a special field trip. These curriculum-based field trips will include art-making components. Contact 502.992.5340 to book.
Colorful Rugs: Fabric collage
Sculpting in Symbols: Ceramic plates
Dazzling Vessels: Metal embossing
Muhammad Ali Center Field Trips
CURRICULUM-BASED GUIDED TOURS
These interactive field trip experiences are aligned with Kentucky and Indiana Core Content Standards and are developed for specific grade levels. During a visit, groups will receive 45 to 60 minutes of classroom instruction and 60 minutes of activities and exploration of the Muhammad Ali Center’s exhibits. In addition, we offer pre- and post-visit lessons and teacher resources.
Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 9:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. (Please note that school trips must be scheduled at least three weeks in advance.)
Our self-guided visits include a structured 15-minute introduction with an education staff member. That introduction includes information about Muhammad Ali and his legacy.
- $7 per student (K-12) for Curriculum-Based Tours
- $6 per student (K-12) for Self-Guided Tours
- $7 per student for college students
Starting July 1st, Kentucky sales tax will be added to all group tour prices.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR TEACHERS AND CHAPERONES
- Please schedule three weeks in advance.
- We suggest that you allow approximately two hours for your visit.
- Please download and print the document Field Trip Policies and Procedures for Teachers and Chaperones and distribute prior to your visit. Helping chaperones know what to expect prior to the visit is essential for the overall experience of the children.
- The Muhammad Ali Center welcomes home school groups.
- We require a 6:1 student/chaperone ratio for all school groups. Adult chaperones will be admitted free at a six to one ratio. Additional chaperones are welcome and will receive the $10.00 per person group rate.
Comments from Teachers
“Our Trip was a success!! Our students truly enjoyed the Ali Center! I can speak for them it will change how they look at Life. They are inspired to use his six core principles next year in our Student Council Goals to make a change in our community! We will be back next year 🙂 We Thank you so much! Awesome set up...Educational to the Max! Muhammad Ali is truly a good role model turning disappointed in to a winning experience in Life! For us to love all people and meet them were they are at in Life!!!”
“I have brought my World Religions classes to the Center for about 5 years. It is a great experience for these students to learn about Islam while discovering the value of empathy.”
To schedule a school tour or for more information, please contact our Tours Department:
Each school group is required to fill out the Youth Group Interest Form prior to visiting.